You are here

The Fiji Savu Water claimed the Rugbytown 7s and the $10,000 prize with a victory over the Ramblin Jesters, 31-14. The squad composed of legendary Waisale Serevi and several Olympic Gold Medal winning players from Rio 2016.

The field consisted of 20 teams, many of which were all star teams comprised of international stars. The field was divided into four groups with each team getting four pool play games and the top two advancing to the cup rounds.

As it turned out, the two finalists would meet in their first pool play game. The Ramblin Jesters took that match 26-21, sending Fiji into an early hole. The Fijians reeled off three straight wins, however, and in a tie with the Jesters, who fell to Atavus.

Both teams advanced and won their way through the cup rounds. The Jesters defeated the Air Force, and Rugby Utah before the rematch with Fiji. Fiji knocked off the US Army while outlasting the British Army to reach the finals.

The Jesters opened the scoring in the final within a minute to take a 7-0 lead. After a couple of phases, Pene Tagive broke a tackle and exploded through the Fiji line. He outflanked Serevi and scored under the posts.

The British side won the ensuing kickoff but a phase later it was knocked on. Off the resulting scrum, Samisoni Viriviri stepped a defender and sped 60 meters in for the tying score.

The Jesters responded with a try from Harry McNulty. They worked their way down the field after botching the kickoff. Cian Barry used a well-executed skip pass inside his own 22 to send Tagive down the sideline. Fiji caught the speedster, however, but committed a penalty in the process. A few phases later, McNulty received a pop pass down the left sideline and cruised passed a Fiji defense that had been sucked inside.

The shootout continued almost immediately. Fiji broke through the line on the kickoff and some Fiji flair with the offload saw Sevuloni Mocenacagi turn Barry inside out and score in the corner. The conversion was missed and the Jesters led 14-12 going into the break.

Discipline cost the Jesters in the second half, however. A tripping penalty sent a Jester to the sin bin. Despite being down a man, the squad from the United Kingdom intercepted a pass and slowly milked time off the man advantage. They even outflanked Fiji and if not for a great tackle that forced a knock on, would have scored.

Fiji took advantage of the extra man off the lineout for nearly a 100-meter try. Fiji broke through the defense and Dion Crowder took an offload 60 meters to take a lead they would never relinquish.

Following the try, the Jesters fought deep within the Fiji territory but knocked the ball on at the goal line. Things then began to unravel for the British squad. A knee to the face resulted in a red card to the Jesters. The floodgates opened with several minutes to play as Fiji added two tries to seal the victory and the $10,000 purse.

Other notable results include the US Army capturing the Armed Forces Championship and the Collegiate All-Americans finishing 5-2, with their only losses coming to the two finalists.