You are here

Mile Pulu carring the rock for SFGG. Austin Brewin photo

In the second week of PRP action, Belmont Shore (2-0) defeated OMBAC (1-1) 36-34 in an exciting game between rivals. SFGG (2-0) narrowly edged the Denver Barbarians (0-1) 22-20 in San Francisco, Calif., and Santa Monica (1-1) avenged last week's loss to win 41-19 over Olympic Club (0-2).

Belmont Shore vs. OMBAC
OMBAC opened the scoring against Belmont Shore with two early penalties. Belmont, however, got a try against the run of play through a blindsided scamper from scrumhalf Ryne Bowden. Belmont looked to be going into the ascendency, but OMBAC responded with a score of its own through a penalty from Zach Pangelinan to take a 16-7 lead. Pangelinan notched 29 of the 34 points for the home side, including three tries on the afternoon.

Two minutes before the half, Mike Te’o provided a moment of individual brilliance, beating several defenders for a try in the corner. “It was a really good try,” said Belmont Shore Coach Ray Egan. “It kind of put us back in the game.”

Belmont Shore started really well in the second half, scoring pretty quickly. However, OMBAC did not go away, coming back down the field and scoring right away. Nevertheless, OMBAC was unable to sustain any momentum as Te’o took the kickoff and once again scored an amazing individual try for the visitors.

Belmont began to control the pace of the game and scored the next try to give it a lead of 29-22. OMBAC battled back once again, however, scoring a good try in the corner and with the converted kick tied the game at 29 all.

The story of the day for OMBAC was a failure to capitalize on its momentum after scoring. Once again, Belmont Shore took the kickoff and moved down the blindside. “We wanted to try and get field position, but we actually ended up offloading the entire way and took a 36-29 lead,” said Egan.

OMBAC refused to quit, scoring a try at the death. OMBAC missed a very makeable kick, giving Belmont Shore a 36-34 victory.

“It was a very exciting game to play in, quite end to end,” added Egan.  “It was a very physical and very open game of rugby.”

SFGG vs. Denver
The Denver Barbarians traveled to San Francisco to take on SFGG in their first week of PRP action. The visitors started well, taking a 13-7 lead into halftime. Elliot Dillon-Herzog opened the scoring for the Barbarians, and with the conversion from Max De Achaval, Denver led 7-0. SFGG evened the game at 7-7 through Opeti Okusi. The Barbarians, however, added two penalties before the break to lead 13-7.

SFGG scored first in the second half with a try from former Cal Standout and capped Eagle Seamus Kelly, who dotted down for a try in his first game with the club. Kelly played extremely well in his debut, earning the man of the match award for his efforts. Although the conversion was missed, a penalty gave SFGG its first lead of the afternoon.

Dillon-Herzog then scored his second try of the afternoon for Denver to retake the lead, 20-15. Denver maintained the advantage with less than 10 minutes left to play, but Bubba Jones out on the wing tied the game for Golden Gate with a kick through a fortuitous bounce. With a successful conversion, SFGG took a 22-20 lead and won the match.

“Bubba will get his chance to stay in the club and will get a chance in the next few weeks to start," said SFGG coach Mark Giacheri. “He scored a great try this weekend.”

Although SFGG is really happy with the victory, it was not completely satisfied with its performance. “I am really pleased with the victory, not so much with the forwards,” said Giacheri. “We have to factor in that the Denver Barbarians are a very strong team and played quite well themselves.”

Santa Monica vs. Olympic Club
In the final game of the weekend, Santa Monica defeated Olympic Club 41-19 in wet conditions. The first half remained very close as Olympic Club got on the board first through Mike Haley. Santa Monica evened the score at 5-5 and took the lead, 10-5, after Olympic Club had a player sent to the bin. At the half, Santa Monica led 10-5.

The second half was almost all Santa Monica, opening the scoring with a penalty. The Southern California side then got tries from Philip Osborne, Chris Baumann and Stu Sharpe to take a 34-5 lead.

Olympic Club had some success in the scrum and earned a penalty try in the latter stages of the game. It was of little consequence, however, as Santa Monica ran away with the 41-19 victory,