You are here

Boston college Photo

A back and forth duel between Boston College and UMass highlighted the ECRC weekend action. Boston College scored a last second try to win 24-20 over its rivals from Amherst. In other action, AIC struggled but won its game over UConn, NEC hammered Albany and Fairfield tallied its first win of the season with a victory over Northeastern.

In swamp like conditions, Boston College battled UMass in a game that went down to the wire. The teams traded points early on in the game with BC leading at half 11-5.

UMass fought back, however, getting a pair of unconverted tries sandwiched around an Eagle penalty. At 15-14, BC hit another penalty to take a 17-15 lead but the Minutemen scored what looked like it was going to be the game winner with five minutes to play.

The Eagles remained composed, however, with Duncan Wood finding his way over after an eight-phase sequence. Boston College used a penalty to get deep in UMass territory before the New Zealand born fullback Duncan Wood found a gap to score under the posts for the win.

“We focused up for the last five minutes. We knew the job we had to do and what points we needed to make,” Boston College coach Rob Conway told Rugby Today. “We were patient with the ball. The guys didn’t really make any mistakes, we stuck with our system and we wore them down to the point we found a gap.”

Wood has been a bit of a revelation this year. Not only did he score the game winner today, he tallied all of the Eagle points on the day. He scored both tries, kicked four penalties and nailed one conversion for a total of 24 points.

“The guys were joking that when you looked at our twitter feed it looked like we only had one player playing today,” Conway said of Wood. “He was are stalwart. He was the guy that led us from the front and retrieved a lot of kicks coming from UMass. He put us on the front foot every time he got the ball in hand.”

In other action, AIC defeated a tough UConn side 41-19. UConn got on the board first with a 5-0 lead and kept the game close at 19-12 midway through the first half.

AIC, ultimately ran away with the match getting three tries from Matt Jones and two from Malik Walker. Nonetheless, it is a solid result from a UConn squad that has been on the rise this year. While it has struggled to get wins, the team has shown vast improvements and has been much more competitive this year.

The other two matches saw New England College make quick work of Albany 74-0 and Fairfield earn its first win of the season with a 28-17 victory over Northeastern.