You are here

AWride photo

BYU dominated Dartmouth 75-15 in to cruise into the Penn Mutual Varsity Cup semifinals. A strong start and a patient attack propelled the Cougars to a convincing victory.

The Cougars scored five tries in the first 20 minutes, never giving the Big Green an opportunity to get into the game. Kevin Schofield scored twice in the first five minutes to give the Cougars a 10-0 lead. Tua Laei, Josh Anderson and Jared Whippy added tries before the 20-minute mark to take a 27-0 lead.

“We knew that we had to come out really quick. We changed our pregame up a little bit just so the boys can get their legs underneath them from the plane ride but the goal was to get out of the gates as quickly as possible. That’s what they were able to do,” said BYU assistant coach Wayne Tarawhiti.

Dartmouth settled down after poor start to hold BYU scoreless for the next 15 minutes. Laei added his second score before halftime but the Big Green managed to put one in itself before the break. Will Konstant intercepted a pass and took it the distance for a 34-7 halftime score.

The Big Green managed to get the first score of the second half via a penalty but wouldn’t manage any more points until a consolation try at the death. In between, BYU added six more scores with Laei nabbing the hat trick and both Whippy and Anderson getting a brace.

“Dartmouth were very quick over the ball. They were smaller than us physically. The score was a little inflated because competition was tough. They were quick to get over the ball and they made us work hard,” added Tarawhiti. “We were patient enough to know that if we could turn it up the middle first we could try and find ourselves space out wide.”

Overall, the BYU coaching staff was satisfied with the performance and is excited to host Arkansas State next weekend.

“Happy with the boys performance but we have been saying this all year, the only thing we can do is try and get up and play the next week, and we are fortunate enough to play a game next week,” Tarawhiti concluded.

Match Details

04.18.16 Hanover, NH
Final Score