You are here

The Ivy League continued play this weekend, with one conference game and one none-conference game. In conference action, Harvard upended Brown 36-17. In friendly play, Dartmouth suffered its third consecutive loss to a non-conference team falling to Navy 55-29.

It has been very much a slow start for the traditionally strong Ivy squad. Dartmouth has tested itself early in the season, scheduling games against strong non-conference opponents. The Big Green lost handily to Boston College and AIC, before losing to Navy this weekend.

The Big Green suffered several key losses in personnel, most notable of which is USA Eagles 7s captain Madison Hughes. In addition, Dartmouth lost football convert Steven Dazzo and Captain Peter Savarese to graduation.

Dartmouth got on the board first against Navy through an exceptional play from speedster John Abraham. Dawit Workie placed a kick in behind the defense, and Abraham sprinted onto the ball, booted it forward and managed to dive on it for the try.

Navy responded with three quick tries, but a tremendous intercept by Curtis Oberg and his subsequent beating of four Navy kept it a five point game at 17-12.
Navy pulled away after the Oberg score, however, earning three tries before Dartmouth was able to respond. In the second half, Navy held a 50-19 lead before two consolation tries from the Big Green. Navy added a final try for good measure to seal the victory.

In a New England Ivy rivalry, Harvard was able to upend Brown for its first win of the season. Coming off one of its roughest seasons in recent memory, it was it a pleasant side for Harvard to get in the win column early in the season. After a strong preseason led by Captains Will Collins and Chris Bruno, and the help of Boston club coach Mike Diamantopolous, the Crimson Tide came into this season on the right note.

“Our captains and team leaders stepped up to the plate after really what was our worst season in about 10 years,” said Harvard coach David Gonzales. Full credit to the team leaders and Diamantopolous to getting us off to a good start.”

Harvard and Brown traded try for try for most of the first half and up until the 60th minute, it was a very close match. The Crimson Tide pulled away, however, winning the match 36-17.

“Things started to break. We had great scores from our backs and we had a couple of new guys turn up and play strong games for us,” Gonzales said of the second half.

The Ivy League is off to a slow start but will pick up pace in the coming weeks with a full slate of games.