You are here

San Diego State remains in first place in the California Conference in Men's DI College action after defeating UC Davis 41-10 Saturday.

Led by fullback Oliver Cregg's two tries and with USA U20 prospect Jonathan Raby in storming form, the Aztecs made Head Coach Alex Lichtig very happy.

"We were fortunate because the rain held off until late," said Lichtig. "We had quick ball coming out of the rucks and we were able to play an open game."

Helping that along was scrumhalf Brendon Winbrock, who set up all attackers nicely with his passing.

Meanwhile, Santa Clara won again to move to 3-0, just behind 3-1 SD State, and lurking behind them is St. Mary's, which beat Cal Poly 36-5 Saturday.

Leading the way for the Gaels was Jaime Borup, just back from injury and healthy enough to score three tries. A solid defensive effort punctuated this game as St. Mary's handled a very strong Cal Poly team.

The game was only 14-5 at halftime, as the wet conditions made it difficult to play without mistakes. Both teams dropped balls, and it wasn't until late that St. Mary's was really able to shake the Mustangs.

Both teams struggled to gain much of a rhythm in the rain and as a result the game saw many errors and penalties.

Despite this, Saint Mary’s was able to consistently find ways to assert their will and keep the game out of reach. After a back-and-forth first few minutes, the Gael’s started the scoring thanks to long runs by Jaime Borup and Ryan Pratt. Borup initially broke free into the open field where he offloaded to Pratt who carried it deep into Cal Poly territory before being taken down. The ball was then shipped wide to Kingsley McGowan who shook off a tackle to get the try.

Cal Poly did have several chances inside the Gaels' 22, but three separate times attempted grubber kicks by the Mustangs were scooped up by Saint Mary’s fullback Cooper Maloney and touched down in-goal.

With 14 minutes left in the first half Saint Mary’s broke through again thanks to another play by Borup. After Garrett Brewer put St. Mary's into Cal Poly territory with a long kick, the Gaels consolidated through a series of phases, and then Borup fought his way over to make it 14-0.

Cal Poly battled and put one over to make it 14-5 at the break.

In the second half St. Mary's wore down the Mustangs. Borup added two more tries and Henry Hall and Joey Reavey each added one more to complete the scoring.

St. Mary's Head Coach Tim O'Brien saw plusses and minuses in the game.

"I thought we were very careless with the ball," he said. "Considering the conditions we took a bit too much for granted."

But, he added, "defeating  a tough Cal Poly side is terrific."

The teams actually played three games, A, B and C. St. Mary's won all three, allowing only 12 points in the trio of games.

Additional reporting from St. Mary's student reports.