You are here
Rugby World Cup 2023 Decision - The final bids are in from the three nations - Ireland, France, and South Africa - vying to host the 2023 RWC. France increased the minimum bid of £120.0MM ($162.0MM) by £30.0MM ($40.5MM).
France ran the 2007 RWC to record numbers at that time until topped by England's 2015 successful tournament. The French promise 300,000 more seats than Ireland, which has fewer regional stadiums with substantial capacity. Ireland hosted an efficient Women's World Cup this past summer but minus attendance at any stadium over 18,000.
The three nations will make presentations Monday, September 25. The final decision comes on November 15.
Countdown to 2019 RWC - Last Wednesday, September 20, marked the two-year countdown to the 2019 RWC in Japan. The global media references to the event will increase geometrically over time. The next important notification will be naming the venues (cities and stadiums) for the scheduled matches. Once these are announced, would be attendees can buy tickets and make travel and hospitality plans. Future dates are:
- November 2017: Full ticketing program announcement, including prices and timelines
- January 2018: Supporter tour packages go on sale via official travel agents via www.rugbyworldcup.com/supportertours
- January 2018: Priority sales open for Japan rugby community, host cities and Front Row members
- February 2018: Hospitality packages go on sale via www.rugbyworldcup.com/hospitality
- September 2018: General ticket sales begin via an application process
- January 2019: Remaining tickets go on sale on a first-come, first-served basis.
Olympics and Rugby World Cup Double - World Rugby's selection of Japan to hold the 2019 RWC was met with some surprise but part of the reason was Japan's prior selection to host the 2020 summer Olympics. Japan will build the infrastructure for the Games when millions of tourists will arrive for the event in 2020. .
Importantly, France's RWC 2023 bid comes after the IOC voted to schedule the 2024 Summer Olympics in that country. Could this double event concept be the wave of the future? If so, will Los Angeles (home to the 2028 Olympic) consider a RWC bid for 2027?
National Small College Rugby Organization Announces Women’s 7s All-Star Championships - The NSCRO Women’s 7s All-Star Championships will be held on January 20 - 21, 2018 at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida.