You are here

After dropping their final game of pool play but still managing to get the top seed in the group, the Eagles dropped a quarterfinal bout to South Africa 21-10. With a depleted squad due to injury and hot weather conditions, the Eagles could not stay with the Blitzbok.

The first few minutes of the game went well for the United States after winning its own kickoff. A penalty put the Eagles deep in South Africa territory but Danny Barrett was run into touch inside five meters to prevent a score.

The Eagles did score first, however, thanks to a great play by Madison Hughes. The captain made a tremendous open field tackle, got up and contested the breakdown. He cleverly kicked the ball out of the ruck and Carlin Isles pounced on it down the sideline. The fastest man in rugby would not be caught and the Eagles took a 5-0 lead.

South Africa responded immediately down the left sideline. They spun it wide and Justin Geduld beat Martin Iosefo down the sideline for a 7-5 lead. The Blitzbok added another try off an intercept. The Eagles looked to be in good position but a wayward pass was intercepted by Geduld. The speedster sprinted down the field and sent Chris Dry in under the posts for a 14-5 lead.

The Eagles started strong in the second half and earned a well worked try. The ball went from left to right quickly and the Eagles caught South Africa with numbers. Danny Barrett attacked the South Africa defense in the center drawing the defense in, and found Stephen Tomasin out wide for a score in the corner. The conversion was missed and the Eagles trailed 14-10.

Any hope of a comeback was dashed almost immediately. The Blitzbok won the kickoff and a few phases later Seabalo Senatla scored a try under the posts. The United States tried to break the South Africa defense in the final three minutes but had no luck. A physical South Africa defense slowed possession and kept the Eagles deep in their own territory. A tired undermanned United States could not find the try zone and the game ended 21-10.