You are here

Martin Seras Lima photo

The Eagles’ Glasgow campaign ended with a 24-19 loss to England in the battle for third place. The match wasn’t as close as the score would indicate, as England had the result in hand the whole time having led 24-0 until midway through the second half.

An interesting starting group took the field for the Eagles, with Andrew Durutalo, Matai Leuta and Garrett Bender in the scrum, Nate Augspurger at scrumhalf, Folau Niua at first receiver, Martin Iosefo at center and Carlin Isles on the wing. Zack Test was injured earlier in the day, but regular starters Maka Unufe and captain Madison Hughes appeared to be simply benched.

The United States went on the offensive first and with a big lineup punched its way into the attacking end. Carlin Isles got the ball with what looked like enough space to score, but Marcus Watson caught him and put him into touch.

Isles lost the ball forward on another foray, this time reined in and flung to the ground by Dan Norton. Dan Bibby would score on the possession following the turnover.

The Eagles appeared to have England corralled in its own end, but Watson stepped his defender and set Tom Mitchell free for a long-range try. The conversion put the English up 14-0. The lead was stretched to 19 when Isles didn’t respect the speed of Norton and was burned on the edge over a short distance just before halftime.

The game turned into a complete blowout seconds into the half. Leuta threw a no-look, over-the-head pass for Perry Baker inside the USA’s own 22, Baker couldn’t gather the ball, and Norton easily picked it up and skated in for an easy try.

Baker finally put the USA on the board with a 70-meter try midway through the half. Leuta took the ball up the touch line and threw it into the pocket for Baker, who ran horizontally and found a gap to strike through. Conversion was missed, leaving the USA down 19 with right under two minutes to play.

Niua punched over another after a couple of penalties against England. The conversion was made, pulling the match within two scores, but there wasn’t enough time to cover all the ground. Iosefo would run one in at the death, flattering the final score line.