You are here

Philadelphia-Whitemarsh vs Doylestown
In the closest game of the day, Philadelphia-Whitemarsh came from behind in the second half against Doylestown to win its second game of the season, 35-24. Doylestown came out with an 11-point lead following a try and two penalty kicks by fullback Tim Acker. Philly center Eric Miller scored soon after, and the kick was converted to make it 11-7. About seven minutes later, Philly took the lead when scrumhalf Bryan Oteri scored after repeated goal line attacks. The half ended with Philly up 12-11.

Doylestown came out of the intermission blazing with a try by center Kevin Hockings and a penalty try following a Philly yellow card. Acker converted both kicks, increasing the lead to 25-12. The comeback started in the 63rd minute when Philly scored its first of four unanswered tries. Simione Maola scored on the wing and Miller got two more tries to retake the lead to 27-25. Philly added another try as time expired. The win gives Philly two victories and a seat atop of the division.

Rocky Gorge vs Severn River
In their first match to defend their National Title, Rocky Gorge roared to a 35-12 victory over Severn River. Severn got out to an early seven-point lead with a try by flyhalf Erik Dronberger. It was all Gorge from there on, with five unanswered tries being scored in the first half. Ben Snyder, Matt Carroll, Will Miller, Josh Brown, and Nick DiMichele dotted down for Gorge. However, all the conversions were missed and at half time, the score was 25-7.

In the second half, DiMichele scored again for Gorge. Severn respondded with a try from eightman Mike Bertoni. The scoring ended with a try by Gorge flanker Dustin Meehan in the 60th minute. "We played some really nice rugby. Our offense looked really good. A good start to the season," Gorge head coach Will Brewington said.

Washington Irish vs Washington
In the battle of the District, Washington Irish defeated Washington 32-10 for their first win of the season. Irish scored first with a try by scrumhalf Luke Hammock, and Washington responded with a penalty kick and try by fullback Craig Hammerburg to take the lead, 10-5. Irish evened the score at 10-10 by half time when center Mark Seiss had a try following a great counter ruck.

In the second half, it was all Irish as they as shut out Washington and scored 22-consecutive points to end the game. A penalty kick by wing Dean Topodas and tries by Joseph Dawson, Ian Pope, and Joseph Edwards filled the scoring sheet for the Irish.

"Saturday’s game was a tightly contested game, as I’ve come to expect when our clubs get together," said Washington head coach Dumont Walker. "The weather definitely factored in as it led to some sloppy play from both sides, and about 8 consecutive scrums at one point in the second half.  I feel like we played well to start but we got away from our game plan in the second half, and the Irish did a great job of capitalizing on mistakes and turning them into points." 

Wilmington vs Lancaster
Wilmington was in control from the start of the game and built a solid lead to finish 38-5 in its first action of the fall. Prop Robert Shutt and eigthman Kevin Wiggins scored to make the lead 12-0 at half time, and Wilmington didn't let up in the second stanza. Wilmington ripped off four more tries by Ian Ferguson, Matt Snyder, Wiggins, and Tishkii Garcia until Lancaster's Pat Carrigan put one in to stop the shutout in the the final minutes of the match.

Lancaster head coach Eric Hellman said, "We played them pretty hard in the first half. They had plenty of subs and we had absolutely none and it took a toll. We gave up points in the second half. Our stamina became an issue without substitutes."

Media vs Brandywine
Media earned their first victory of the season by routing Brandywine, 42-5. No additional information was available for this game.