You are here
This weekend’s HSBC Hong Kong Sevens will mark the 44th anniversary of the event. The tournament is divided into three segments, Men’s 16-teams, Men’s 2020 Qualifier 12 teams, and Women’s 2020 Qualifier 12-teams.
The action begins Friday, April 5 and concludes Sunday, April 7.
Past Winners – Fiji and New Zealand have dominated the event with 29 championships. Data follow:
Fiji – 18 titles
NZ – 11
Australia – 5
England - 4
Men’s Qualifiers – The nation that wins the annual Hong Kong qualifier will be promoted to circuit status in 2020, thereby playing in all ten sevens events. Past winners:
2018 - Japan
2017 – Spain
2016 – Japan
2015 – Russia
2014 – Japan
- Belgium, Scotland, Japan, Mexico
- Papua New Guinea, Hong Kong, Kenya, Uganda
- Argentina, Zimbabwe, Brazil, Poland
Men’s Qualifier Pools
- Germany, Uganda, Chile, Cook Islands
- Russia, Uruguay, Ireland, Jamaica
- Tonga, Zimbabwe, Hong Kong, Philippines
Is this the year that Ireland moves its sevens program into the same, upper category as the national fifteen side?